Sunday, September 12, 2010

Peanut Sauce With Chicken

It may come off as rather odd, but most foods I post and/or make in my kitchen are not consumed by myself. I love making cookies, but would rather give them away to neighbors, friends, strangers, etc. rather than eat them up myself.

Also, I do not eat a lot of meat. "Pescetarian" is the technical term, so I eat fish and seafood, but chicken, beef, pork, and the likes are not part of my diet. So it might be a little weird that I get excited about foods like chicken bakes from Costco (mmmm) and bacon in any form.*

Mostly, I feed my boyfriend. I like making food for him because he appreciates it and says that everything I make is delicious, even when it is not. He always eats what is on his plate, even my terrible experiments. Luckily, tonight's dinner was "delicious."

As always.

I must be some cook. :)

ON THE MENU TONIGHT: chicken breast sautéd with garlic, pepper, and rice vinegar; white buttered sticky rice; steamed broccoli; and to top everything off, some homemade peanut sauce.**

But first an appetizer? Frozen boxed eggroll and Asian dumplings from Trader Joes.


Peanut Sauce
(Recipe from Cooking With Amy)

1/4 cup peanut butter (natural, no sugar added kind)
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup coconut milk (lite is fine, if you prefer or substitute water)
1/4 cup water
red chili flakes to taste
chili garlic sauce to taste or 1 clove crushed garlic

Optional:***
sesame oil
curry paste
rice wine vinegar
fish sauce
grated ginger
shallots sauteed till brown in oil
Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients with a whisk in a small bowl, adding the water last. Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Experiment with this sauce adding a teaspoon at a time of one the optional additions and tasting as you go. Serve hot or cold.


Try it out. My boyfriend says, "If one was okay and ten was pretty great, I think I'd probably give you a hundred and ten thousand stars."

Oh, I like that man.

*There are so many things you can do with bacon! You have the classics like eggs and bacon and toast, BLTs, twice baked potatoes with bacon and chives, chicken bakes. Then you get the weirder stuff like bacon weaves, bacon cookies, peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, etc. etc. Everybody loves bacon. I love bacon. Just not eating it.
**My friend tells me that next time I HAVE to make some Pad Thai to go with the peanut sauce.
***I added one teaspoon yellow curry paste and two teaspoons rice vinegar.

1 comment:

  1. Everything you've made (thus far) has been delicious! The man lies not.

    ReplyDelete