Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's Curry Night Again!

I do love curry.


Not so much as Lister does on Red Dwarf, because if I had curry for every dinner my bowels might not appreciate me.

But almost as much as Lister.


Tonight after a very beautiful hike right outside of town, my friends and I gathered at my house and we made two different curries: a pineapple-chicken curry and a spicy vegetarian green curry. I was responsible for the veg curry and my friend whipped up the other one.

Neither of us followed any sort of recipe, but rather just started putting things into a pot. Mine had coconut milk, sauted onions, peppers, eggplant, some potatoes, tofu, carrots, bananas, pineapples with juice, coconut flakes, garlic, curry paste, and then a bunch of spices like curry powder, red pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, cinnamon, onion powder, but no salt.


I'm all salted out from salt & pepper pistachios from Everybody's Nuts! Have you tried those? You have to, they're just too good. They're more peppery than salty, but if you eat half of the huge bags, you'll be salted out too.


The pineapple-chicken curry consisted of basically the same, but with coconut flakes and eggplant omitted and chicken instead of tofu. She also added cashews and honey. She is a fantastic cook. We served it with delicious store-bought naan from Costco and some white rice. Then we watched a Western. Monte Walsh.

Do you like my idea?
"Curry and Cowboys." I thought it was clever. It sounds nice at least.

Also, Monte Walsh is one of my favorite movies. Behind Quigley Down Under, my top movie of all time, but still pretty good. Tom Selleck makes one fine cowboy. He's just a great actor in general.


So go try making curry! It's simple, delicious, and a fun event to do with friends. Curry is a social food.

1 comment: