Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mango-Blackberry Cobbler

Mmmmm... cobbler.

We still had a few leftover bags of blackberries from last year's picks, and my mother accidentally left one out after grabbing a handful for her oatmeal. Can't let that go to waste! I'm trying to get over my sugar-phobia, so I had some myself. If I might say so myself, it was pretty delicious. My friends and I play this game every week or so, and I like to make food for the occasion. Plus, my sister and dad are in town to enjoy some too. Not to mention, I love baking. But who needs an excuse anyways?


Mango and Blackberry Cobbler
(Recipe from Baking Bites)

16oz fresh blackberries
16-oz fresh mango, cubed
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon**

Preheat oven to 357F.

Combine blackberries, mango, apples, cornstarch and sugar in a large bowl. Toss well and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Pour into an 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch square baking dish.

In the same bowl you used for the fruit, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla and whisk to combine. Pour batter (should be similar to cake batter) over the fruit in an even layer.

Bake at 375F for about 45 minutes, until dark golden brown. The center will spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the cake will come out clean, just like a regular cake that is done. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.***

Serves 6-8


*I used 2% milk, and it turned out just fine.
**My addition, because I love cinnamon.

***With vanilla ice-cream! Alone is swell as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment