Monday, May 24, 2010

Plum-Rhubarb Yogurt

Nothing quite compares to the delectable goodness of a hot rhubarb cobbler, a little vanilla ice-cream on the side. I have enjoyed pies and cobblers and crisps and bars with rhubarb since my days living in North Dakota. We've always had a patch growing at some hidden corner of our yard.

However, one thing about rhubarb, sugar makes it sweet.

I know that is kind of an obvious statement. Sugar makes anything sweeter. Now that I am more conscious (slightly overly-conscious) of the foods I eat, sugar isn't nearly as enjoyable as it once was. Nowadays I tend to avoid processed sugar where I can.

I've been toying with the concept of incorporating rhubarb into a main course, but aside from that, also turning it into a dessert that doesn't have a gallon of sugar in it.


I know this recipe needs work, but this rhubarb yogurt has potential. It reminds me a bit of those fruit-at-the-bottom yogurt cups, with the mushy, doesn't-really-resemble-food stuff that tastes surprisingly yummy. I've tried several varieties of the recipe, and I'll likely try several more, but this one has plums in it (which give it a pretty color aside fromThe texture is wanting, and it needs more flavors, but here it is:

Plum-Rhubarb Yogurt
1 c. rhubarb, sliced and diced
1/2 c. plums, cut up with peel
1 packet stevia
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. non-fat plain yogurt**
1 T whipped cream (optional)***

In skillet with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, saute rhubarb until soft and tender. Add plums to hot pan Remove from heat, stir in stevia, cinnamon, and vanilla. Chill for at least an hour. Combine rhubarb mix with yogurt. Plop a dallop of whipped cream on top, if so desired.****

Makes two servings. (Approximately 95 calories per serving with whipped cream).


*Of course I would have prefered strawberries, a perfect combination fruit, but my freezer contains a dozen pounds of Italian prunes from last year's harvest of my neighbor's trees. (Bought, not stolen).
**Maybe try it with vanilla yogurt or even strawberry, and of course it doesn't have to be fat-free.
***Honey-sweetened whipped cream is delicious. Fluffy and delicious, it's a nice touch.
****After careful evaluation, I have decided this would be improved with raisins and/or nuts.

1 comment:

  1. What a refreshing idea for a spring/summer evening treat. I will have to try at least one of these recipes in the coming days.
    You have a light and airy - fresh - blog and you will be on my weekly reading list. Your father is one of your biggest fans. I hope you are as successful a beecharmer as your father is.
    Like father - like daughter.
    Thank you for the wonderful blog - have a great day!

    ReplyDelete